photo of a tower green gable
Green Gables 1901

A community treasure

Green Gables represents the last, best reminder of Melbourne Florida’s early families.

          Built in 1896 as a home for William T. and Nora Stanford Wells and their family, Green Gables is still owned by members of the family and is largely unchanged from this 1901 configuration. The Wells home is at the north end of Riverview Drive and was at the North end of the Bluff Walk.  The Carlton Hotel was at the south end of the Bluff Walk which ended in the Trysting Steps (both now gone).  Although the Carlton did not survive long into the 20th century, Green Gables remained a center of social life for many years. There are still a number of people who remember formal teas hosted by the Wells family.

GREEN GABLES AT HISTORIC RIVERVIEW VILLAGE, INC. was formed in 2010 in response to the loss of a number of irreplaceable historic buildings in South Brevard County and the City of Melbourne.

          The continuing deterioration and threat of demolition of Green Gables  spurred the organization to redouble our efforts to save Green Gables.  Our  organization is currently raising funds to purchase the property,  working to prevent further deterioration of the home and maintaining the property to insure that this 120 year old home can continue to serve future generations of Floridians.

          Green Gables sits on about 1.5 acres fronting on the Indian River lagoon, highway US1, and Riverview Dr.  The owners have agreed to stall demolition plans while Green Gables at Historic Riverview Village, Inc., raises funds to purchase and restore the building and site.

          In 2015, this site was listed on the Eleven Most Endangered Historic Sites by the Florida Trust for Historic Preservation.  This program highlights the urgent need to save the state's cultural heritage.    HELP US SAVE GREEN GABLES

Green Gables SE aspect

National Register of Historic Places

as of  5/18/2016, Green Gables is listed

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation.  Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic places is a part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archaeological resources.    Listing on the National Register is important because it verifies for grant reviewers and donors that the property is historically significant.   Many thanks to the authors and reviewers for achieving this level of recognition.